Sunday, July 3, 2022

A Case of Finding Yourself

The Dragon in the Bookshop by Ewa Jozefkowicz (Zephyr, 2022)

Every book by Ewa Jozefkowicz that I've read has always had a surprise for me. I think they are going to go one way, when quite unexpectedly they go and do quite the other! Her new novel, The Dragon in the Bookshop, is no exception. And if you think that this is going to be just another fantasy story, laden with legendary creatures, spells and the evergreen magic of books thrown in for good measure, then think again...and look closer. 

Konrad (Kon) has lost his father who died, suddenly and with little warning, from a heart attack in his own bookshop. The man who was guide and mentor to his son has gone and Kon speaks no more. Then, one day, Kon finds a  very unusual footprint in the rock - lizard? dinosaur?...monster? - and things start to open out from the darkness in which he has found himself. 

Jozefkowicz has an extraordinary power as a writer. Her skill in presenting the difficult complexities of life through the eyes of children and having the remarkable magic of being able to show her readers a hopeful way forward always astonishes me. The writing has a crystal clarity and, most noticeably and importantly, a heartfelt gentleness that in every one of her books has left me changed for the better. What it must be like for children to read her books! 

Early in the novel, one line made me stop reading for a moment: 

You know, everything in nature leaves a little bit of itself behind. It rubs off - quite literally - on the world around it, which means that it's never really quite gone.

Maya, who speaks these words, is talking about bumblebees. But the wisdom and truth and comfort of that statement really did take my breath away. How perfectly put, how simple and clear. And like the fleeting nature of the bumblebee's flight, even the transient lightness of life itself, the words are spoken, the page is read, the message is passed. No dogma, no high-falutin pomp or ceremony. This is what Jozefkowicz does in her books - it really is magical. 

Ewa has written a special piece - very moving and utterly charming in equal measure! - just for the blog today. It explains the origin of the idea for The Dragon in the Bookshop, but also highlights the importance of why we read. It is all about the finding of oneself in those pages. The search may go on for years - maybe never fulfilled - but of course, if you don't find yourself, then you'll find others, hundreds of thousands of others, who have their own joys, sorrows, problems and solutions. In finding them too, and really listening to their stories, then the future is going to be a better place for us all. I repeat and stand amazed again: What it must be like for children to read Ewa's books.

***

Ewa writes: 

The Dragon in the Bookshop is special to me, as the inspiration for it came from my dad who passed away when I was a teenager. He read me many stories and legends and truly ignited my love of reading. One of his favourite things to say before opening a new story was: “Remember Ewa - for every reader there is a character in a book that matches them almost exactly. It’s just a case of finding them. This could be the book!”

I really loved this idea of finding characters who truly resonated with you as a reader – so much so that you could imagine you were them, embarking on a wonderful adventure in a world entirely unknown to you. I admit I still haven’t found my perfect character match. When I was young, I was certain that I was Pippi Longstocking, as she was mischievous just like me – and I was amazed to find out that she slept with her feet on the pillow, like I did! As I grew older, I thought that I could be Mina from David Almond’s Skellig, as I was exactly the kind of person who would be involved with a brilliant, unexpected discovery – I was nosy and knew how to keep a secret.

Since Mina, there have been several close matches, but nobody who is spot on…yet. It’s only a matter of time. And it hasn’t stopped me from encouraging my family and friends to search for their own characters. My twins Julia and Magda, who are currently four, have already started playing their grandfather’s game. Julia is convinced that she’s the eldest of the owl siblings, Sarah, in Owl Babies by Martin Waddell. Magda sees herself as the Bumblebear written by Nadia Shireen. 

It’s a really good way to add another level of excitement to reading, and I always thought this would be a great exercise for teachers to do with their pupils. Which character from any book they’ve read, matches them most closely and why? Watch as a fascinating debate unravels. In fact, on a recent school visit, a boy from Year 6 told me that he most empathises with Draco Malfoy from Harry Potter, who he always thought was a little misunderstood!

***

The Dragon in the Bookshop by Ewa Jozefkowicz (front cover illustration by Katy Riddell) is out on 7th July 2022 and will help promote Grief Encounter (www.griefencounter.org.uk) a wonderful charity that works with children who have lost someone they love.

Grief Encounter have a message for children and young people like Kon. As a charity they work closely with individuals, families, schools and professionals to offer a way through the anxiety, fear and isolation so often caused by the grief of losing someone close.

Grief Encounter provide immediate support with a FREEPHONE Grieftalk helpline 0808 802 0111 open Mon-Fri 9am-9pm, a live chat via their website or support by emailing grieftalk@griefencounter.org.uk.

With huge thanks, as ever, to Ewa Jozefkowicz and Fritha Linqvist for their help and input in the writing of this blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment